Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Shalom

The Biblical understanding of shalom (Hebrew word for peace), is not merely the absence of conflict but everything that makes for people's highest good. It is that intangible substance that always works toward God, toward hope and wholeness in which people, individually and collectively, experience unity with YHWH (God).

Picture this in John 14 to the end of the chapter, it is "shalom" a little more clearly: It is Yeshua/Jesus's last night with His disciples as they have finished their Passover Feast, He has described to them and taken the first "Communion" together and had partaken of all the remembrances of how YHWH has takes His people out of Egypt (A feast that is dripping in shadows of this very time - foretelling the Messiah's return and there He is sharing this very festival with them!!) Yeshua/Jesus has already sent Judas Iscariot to do his evil deed. He knows His time is limited, He insists on washing the disciples feet. This is a ceremony that was performed by Moses, way back in the desert to demonstrate the purifying of the new High Priest that was taking office. This too is what Jesus was doing for the disciples. He was passing on His job - giving them torch so to speak and "commissioning them" (or anointing them) for the very hard road ahead. All the while, He is giving His goodbye talk (although the disciples don't really recognise that - we now know that is what it was). Shortly before they leave the building to go the very site where He is to be arrested, Yeshua/Jesus blesses His disciples - He offers "shalom" to them, he says "I am leaving you with a gift – peace (shalom) of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid." NLT

I can not think of a more perfect illustration of shalom, then Jesus in His last hours and days. He KNEW what laid ahead and He gave Himself fully for us, without complaining, blaming, power-trips. He walked in complete faith and shalom in the Father, full trust in YHWH, not matter the cost, no matter the circumstances. He committed His life to the fulfil God's purpose for Him and He did so with peace at His very core.

Shalom is the result of transforming power of God at work in us, as we seek Him and obey His commands. Like the first disciples, we walk with Him daily in our prayer, study, service and choices. We can not obtain shalom by our own efforts, however we can pursue shalom by pursuing God/YHWH and He is very willing to grant it to His people.

Here are just a couple small reminders about shalom:

Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. Psalm 34:14

Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2 Timothy 2:22

It is costomary for God's people to great each other upon arriving and leaving, with the word "shalom" - it the a blessing of wholeness and unity with the one true God, YHWH. Something we share in the Kingdom of God. It is beautiful.

So I bid you welcome and shalom!

Below is the portion of John that I am refering to - for your convienance:

John 14:15-31 NLT
15 “If you love me, obey my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you. 19 Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”
22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”
23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.
27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. 28 Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am. 29 I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do happen, you will believe.
30 “I don’t have much more time to talk to you, because the ruler of this world approaches. He has no power over me, 31 but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father. Come, let’s be going.

No comments: