Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Homemade Black Walnut Tincture


It's that time of year to make Black Walnut Haul Tincture!  Why make black walnut tincture?  It is a very strong and effective remedy for parasites (and the problems they cause) especially when mixed with wormwood and clove.  Black Walnut Hull is also very  effective on fungal infections of all kinds.  I have used it to treat athletes foot and impetigo when nothing else worked and it was very effective.  As a farmer, it also good to have on hand for animals! It is also said that Black Walnut Hull has also been used successfully in the treatment of cancer. Here is a link for other uses of Black Walnut Tincture. In addition to the tasty nut, the leaves can also be used for medical purposes.  So it is very good to know and identify these uses and these trees, so that you may utilize this wonderful gift from our Creator!   Here is a little video on what Dr. Hulda Clark P.H.D., N.D. about her research with Black Walnut Hull:



Identifying a Black Walnut Tree:  Here is a link with great information on identifying a black walnut tree.  Once you have found one, they will be very easy for you to spot, thereafter.  Once you have handled the green nuts, you will never forget their distinct smell.  We used to play with them as kids...every time I touch one it takes me back!  :-)  At that time, I had no idea of their strong medicinal properties.  I just new they made great "play food" in our fort and my mom brought it to my attention that they stained clothes.  :-)

Collecting Walnuts:  The walnuts are ready in July/August depending on your region.  These trees are very common and plentiful and their nuts are often seen as "litter" in people's yards..so they are easy to collect or get permission to collect on other's property.  You an also find them in state parks.  It doesn't take many to make a large batch tincture.  It is strong and a little goes long way!  You want to get the walnuts that are all green.  I avoid any browning.  You want a nice bright green  color.  Stay away from the ones that are yellowing or have lots of brown specks or spots, cracks or blemishes. I will even take a stick and knock them out of a the tree if I have too to get them without any brown.  These will be the strongest and healthiest hulls to use.  After you use the hull you can harvest the nut in the center.  However, often the nut isn't ready...so I personally consider the hull and nut harvest as two different stages of getting fruit from the tree.  The nut is better and easier to get to when the hull it starting to deteriorate.

Making the Tincture:   You may use any alcohol to extract the medicinal properties from your walnut hulls.  I prefer a high proof vodka or grain alcohol.  However a rubbing alcohol could be used if you were only going to ONLY use it topically.  A gin could also be used.  I get a jar twice the size of the amount of tincture I plan to use and fill it half way with the alcohol. I also wear gloves because the walnuts stain your hands green or brown if you choose to cut them.  I have read two ways to do it.  You can be total low maintenance, fast and stain free by putting your walnuts in the jar whole and your are done.   However, I like to cut my hulls off instead.  Doing this allows me to put more media in the jar for extraction..and results are a stronger tincture. I simply get a sharp knife and cut all around the pit to take the hunks of skin and flesh away from the pit/nut.  I never get as deep as the nut center because it is a firm hard hull to cut through. I drop each piece immediately into the alcohol because it likes to oxidize quickly.  I fill it up half way with green hull pieces.  I put the lid on and put it in a warm dark place to steep for 6 weeks.  Than I strain it and bottle it in dark glass.  (It is good to keep all tinctures out of the light.  It preserve their properties/strength.)

The tincture will be a deep dark green when it is finished.  Often when it is sold commercially it will be brown..but the dark green is actually a superior quality. Of course your cost is FAR less..you only have the cost of the alcohol.




This post was shared at Wildcrafting Wednesdays

10 comments:

Andi said...

Thank you for this post, I have been wanting to learn how to make this...

PaulAmy said...

did you post this in honor of me :)...lol!

Gina said...

We were so glad to find this blog and knowing you (from family week)makes it all the better :)
We are collecting hulls now, there are plenty of black walnut trees in our area and the nuts are just beginning to fall.

MommySetFree said...

Welcome Gina! I am so glad you commented. It is good to hear from you. I pray all is well with you and your lovely family! I have actual been meaning to email you to see see if you plans for Sukkot! I think I'll go do that now. I hope the address I have from the directory is still good. If not- and you get this message - send me your email. Blessings to you and yours! pamela

Unknown said...

Hello, I have a question. Can I use the younger walnuts the ones thst are just half the size of what they will grow? How effective or dangerous a tincture from them? Thank you

MommySetFree said...

Olga,
I am not sure if it OK to use them at such a premature stage or not. I don't know how that immaturity would effect the medicinal properties or even if it may be safe or not. I am sorry that I do not have a better answer to your question. I would not want to advise you improperly.

PaulAmy said...

Just made some walnut tincture today! So easy! Yay:)

Unknown said...

Thank you for puttinf this out there. I buy this tincture for my mastiff-mix dog because he is prone to yeast infections. Today I decided silly to buy it when I have ton of black walnut trees on my property. Do you happen to know dosages for using?

MommySetFree said...

Annette,
If it were me, I would try using the same dosage you used before with your purchased brand. I came accross this chart for animals, by someone who sells it. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/black_walnut_hull_tincture.html
I hope that helps.

Elizabeth said...

Do you think this recipe would work with ordinary walnut hulls (juglans regia) as opposed to black walnut hulls (juglans nigra).

I'm making a batch right now (southern hemisphere) but I'm in question as whether my common or garden walnut will do the job?