Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Monday, November 24, 2008

What DO you DO on Shabbat?

One of the things that was hardest for me to learn was NOT to plan Shabbat! Some may say I have "Administrative Tendancies". I love to dig into a messy pile of something (ANYTHING) and bring order and function to it. I love to label things, organize and make things efficiant and pretty. For me...I had to learn to not plan my day. At first it was so hard! A whole empty day??? The idea of it was torture - not a blessing. The more I saught Him, the quicker He transformed me. He taught me how to totally "let go" and relax IN HIM, 100%. It is such a blessing!

I have learned, that it is similar to when we take a vacation...it takes a lot of work to prepare for a vacation! But how much sweeter is it when we do?? SO much sweeter! For me, I rest better when my house is clean (or AT LEAST tidy), and I have a sense of having accomplished my tasks for the week. There is a wonderful expectation in preparation for the Shabbat, as we (the bride) prepare for that Holy Appointment that our Groom has set aside for us.

My dear friend described it best when she said, "We live from Shabbat to Shabbat. Our whole week revolves around the next Shabbat."

Sundays are often spent doing household chores, and extra projects with Daddy since he is off work. Or I do projects that require my undevided attention (new projects or ones that I am not confident about), things that are not easily done amidst the daily business of school and other responsibilities. Daddy will spend time with the kids so that I may be freed up for these things. (I am blessed.)

Mondays and Tuesdays, I try to get most of my "running" done.

Wednesday is the best day for visits, friends, or fieldtrips. It is also a good day to do extra special projects that may take two days (like sewing, putting food by, larger prodjects and planning, etc.) that I CAN do amidst daily business.

Thursdays, I like to get the cleaning done and laundry done.

Friday, I like to cook and prepare for Shabbat, by tieing up any loose ends from the week.

Our Erev Shabbat Dinner is always the best meal of the week. We always have wine, candles, tablecloths, centerpiece, cloth napkins, our best dishes, dessert and Challah. (We do not have this during the week!) We sing our Family Shabbat Songs, We pray for each other and pray together, we share Scripture, and have relaxed fellowship. We usually adjourn to the living room for further fellowship. This often results in snuggling and foot rubs or back rubs all around and just visiting and laughing. Sometimes it turns into Bible study or listening to a teaching tape or something of the like. Sometimes we will watch a missionary/Bible video or something like that, but when we do pick a film, we like to keep Yah at the center...other wise, it seems "selfish". If we are reading a good book that really glorifies Yah, we may read that aloud. Many a nights we have dozed on the couch; It's like a family slumber party. No bed times are enforced like they are during the week.

The next morning: We all sleep in. We are a house of early risers, so this definatly sets this day apart for us. For breakfast we usually have granola, hot cereal that was premade in the crock pot, or muffins that were made ahead. Muffins are the family favorite. Daddy and I are eager to study, so we often do that first thing...in jammies without a care; its the best. We truly enjoy one another, it is like "date night" with bed-head and a cup of coffee. The kids are eager to play "Bible Characters" or something of the like. We encourage them to keep Yah at the center of what they do too. Sometime we (Davidic) dance our worship together or go outside and soak up His Creation. As the day goes on, we study together, worship together, pray together, nap together, have quiet times alone, (in the winter I love to soak in a hot bath!). My mom has recently "taken over" Shabbat lunch, which has been a real blessing for me. She premakes a meal and brings it over after she has had her quiet time with Yah. Before that, I would have something premade or we would have "a snacky day". I would have fruit and vegies cut, dips, cheese, muffins etc. This is always our back-up if mom was unable to make anything ahead. We have an agreement, that she must make it ahead and not fuss on Shabbat. :-)

As of late, we find that friends come by for home fellowship around 3:30 or 4. This used to be more like 6, but we find it easier for our families to meet earlier...we simply need more time together. We continue to pray, study, and worship with friends and I have something premade and everyone brings something that they have premade and we eat together at sunset, and continue fellowship. Our meeting is multi generational and everyone partisipates. We encourage one another and share what Abba is showing us through is constant object lessons in life and Scripture as we seek Him and His ways.

We also like to go for a walk or go for a hike when it is nice, but that is happening less often since Abba is slowly connecting us with other Sabbath/Torah keepers.

This is such a wonderful contrast to what our "Sundays" used to be like. Get up, get pretty, rush out, shake hands, do very loud modern "worship", be talked at (a serman), shake more hands, smile - small talk and race for the door because we were famished and felt like half the day was "gone".

Now, when Sunday comes around I bounce out of bed like Tigger, refreshed and full of energy and ready to take on the next week. It is a beautiful thing, I am so thankful for His precious Shabbat!!

4 comments:

Lisa W said...

You sound so much like me! I can't rest on Shabbat unless the house is clean and tidy, too. My family knows Shabbat hasn't really started till I let out a big sigh just before lighting the candles. LOL I tell the kids it's a cleansing breath.

Thanks for sharing about your Sabbath traditions.

Anne Elliott said...

Thanks so much for posting this. It HELPS to visit in someone else's home and "see" what they do.

Hugs,
~Anne
http://anneelliott.com/blog

Crawley said...

Your Shabbatot sound lovely! Thank you for sharing about your day.

Clair de Lune

Unknown said...

Wish we lived close by, Would love to share Shabbat with you and your family. Sounds lovely and so refreshing. Will use this advice on my Shabbats. God Bless and may Yahushua come soon!!
Donna and Ashlene