Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The BEST Deoderant

I got this recipe from a friend who raved about it. Then another friend tried it and raved about it. Since I have been on the lookout and tested what seems like EVERY natural deodorant on the market for 20 years (I am not exaggerating...I used to run a whole foods business!) I was a bit resigned to the fact that one must reapply natural deodorant and one must
freshen up through the day. Those days are over! I am so absolutely tickled!!! It is simple and easy to make too.

Equal parts Corn Starch and Baking Soda (you might try 1/4 C each) and Coconut Oil*.

You just put your powders in a bowl than take a spoon full of (hard) coconut oil and work it through the powders with the back of the spoon to form a smooth paste in the consistency you like. I store it in a little Pyrex jar or 1/2 pint jelly jar. Scoop a little out with your finger and apply to your pits like lotion. It doesn't stain, it doesn't show, it goes on "dry feeling", it lasts ALL day and night, it has no scent**.

*For storage sake -note: Do not substitute another oil for coconut oil. If you are not familiar with it, it gets hard when cool (room temp) and wet (like olive oil) when warmed in storage. So keep that in mind...I just keep it in my bathroom and it stays solid, but if it gets super hot or stored in a car while traveling in summer or something - it will soften or "get wet" in storage. It doesn't hurt it...you might want to keep that in mind with your container for travel.

** I plan to make another batch with essential oils for fragrance and added bacterial protection, however, it is nice to have one unscented so you have other fragrance options (and DH doesn't smell like lavender!). I like to use oils and flower essences from time to time.

p.s. It doesn't sting after a shave either!

3 comments:

Angelique said...

Ah,,,,, is this just a regular bottle of coconut oil found in miller's?
Sounds good!

MommySetFree said...

I always get the gallon size (you know me!)...Mom just picked up 12 gallons to send home with some friends from TN that are gonna be in PA next week. I think Millers has it in a quart size jar (maybe even a pint). (Good Coconut oil makes the yummiest popcorn and granola BTW!) You DON'T have to get the "crazy-expensive" kind for this though. Let me know what you think. Much Love, p

Anonymous said...

This sounds like it is worth a try, I have been using the salt block thingy and in the summer it creates a problem - I am salt sensitive... :) Thanks a ton!