Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wild Edibles! (Video)

I spent this Memorial Day, in bed flat on my back, recovering from a back injury incurred the previous Friday.  My family was outside working on the many chores that needed to get done on the farm, such as setting up (much needed) irrigation for the strawberry patch and the turkey run ( for the fodder we are trying to get planted and grown before they are big enough to graze the land).  They also brought in the first couple hundred bales of hay for the spring from our back field.   There is a threat of rain and we have come to understand the importance of "making hay while the sun shines"!   We were late in getting help to cut our hay this year...but we think we found a nice local cattle rancher to partner with.  They cut and bale it and get 65%.  We get the other 35% and just need to bring in our own bales.  It is an arrangement that will work well for us until we get more equipment to to do our own hay and the more animals for the need.  They respect our boundaries not to work on the Sabbath (even they take off Sundays) and they are also respectful and cautious about the reality of their being children here on the farm...so this momma gives them a thumbs up.  :-)  Anyway... back on topic....much of my time in bed was spent reading about wild edibles and foraging.  (I have some wonderful new resources I hope to share with you soon on that too!!)  In the mean time, I wanted to share this series of short videos by Sergei Boutenko, each is a little over 10 minutes long, .  He has done a fine job explaining and showing 24 varieties of wild edibles with a few medicinal mixed in there too.  It worth the watching!  Some day, I hope to host wild food walks here on our farm as well as herbal workshops and sell perennials plants so people can grow their own food and medicine.  Until then, I continue study and experiment...and share things on my blog.  :-)  If this is s topic of interest to you, I highly recommend using many resources.  Doing this reinforces the things you have already learned and you will always come across little tidbits that one teacher covers that another did not...there is always something to learn!! I hope you enjoy it!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

This post was shared at Wildcrafting Wednesdays

No comments: