1 pound challah, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
3 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
6 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Spread challah cubes on cookie sheet and let dry in warm oven (250 degrees) about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan combine the chocolate, milk and cream over medium heat, whisking until mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs and yolks with the sugar and add the hot mixture in a steady stream. Whisk in the vanilla. Stir in the challah.
- Transfer the mixture to a buttered 3-quart shallow baking dish. Let stand 10 minutes for challah to absorb the custard mixture.
- Bake about 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.