Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Seasoning Mixes = No Brainer Meals

In my opinion, seasoning mixes are the key to fast food! Even if you only have 1 or 2 main items (the cupboard is bare) you can make delicious meals with seasoning mixes! The groceries store shelves are lined with them now...But you can make your own at a fraction of the cost and tweak it to your family's tastes. A little preparation goes a long way when it comes to making your own herb and spice blends!

When I decided to serve whole foods to my family and stop buying convenience foods and reduce our restaurant visits...this revelation was a real blessing for us. We did not sacrifice, convenience, flavor or options! It also stretched our dollar. I can also control my ingredients so my mixes do not contain anti-caking agents, preservatives, colors or MSG. This is a wonderful tool for Shabbat Preparations if you are making many meals at once too! Not all recipes or store bought blends are equal, (which is why I like to make my own) but there are lots of good recipes out there, I am sure!

Just add spices to any of the following items for instantly delicious "no brainer" meals and sides: Vegetables, Dressings, Dips, Pasta of all kinds, Rice, Couscous, Millet, Meat of every kind, Eggs, Bread, Cheese, Sauces, Soups and Broths

Here is another one of my combinations hot out of my family recipe book:

Fantastic Fish Seasoning
This is a wonderful seasoning on fish (or chicken or veggies actually). Our favorite is Talapia, Orange Roughy, or Tuna Steaks. I just put the fish an a tray, and squeeze a little fresh lemon or lime over them and sprinkle generously with seasoning and bake at a moderate temperature. You can even do this from frozen. Sometimes I like to put a pat of butter on there. It is THAT fast and easy!

1 part each
dr. minced onion
sea salt
dill
parsley
celery seed
Rapedura (or Sucanat)
paprika
lemon granules

plus 1/2 part each
dr. garlic powder
citric acid (ascorbic acid)

You might sample it for the first time using a teaspoon as your "part", in case you want to adjust the flavors. I like to do it in a Tablespoon for my "part", it make a little over a half cup that way. If you like a "rub" consistency just leave it as it is. If you prefer a finer seasoning, put ithe onion, salt, dill, parsley,celery seed and lemon granules in the blender to grind fine - than add remaining ingredients. We like it both ways.

Here are a few of my favorite store bought seasonings:

Spike (Original)
Veggie Pepper
Herbamare
Frontier's Grilling Seasonings (They are on my list to "copy")

Here are some links for mixes I intend to play with in the future:
41 Seasoning Blends!
Almost 120 Seasoning Recipes!
Dip Mixes
Dressing Mixes

Here are the links a couple other seasoning posts from the archives:

Italian Sausage Mix
Mama's Garlic and Breakfast Sausage Mix

No comments: