This is a delightfully rustic bread that develops a hard crust as it cools. It is wonderfully easy and so satisfying with soup, salad or pasta!
2C Wheat or Spelt flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4C buttermilk
- In a large bowl mix all the the dry ingrediants together.
- Make a well in the center and add buttermilk in the well. Mix until just blended.
- Grease a 2 qrt mixing bowl and transfer dough into it. (I use stainless, but if you have glass that will work, just put a cloth in the bottom of the crock to set it on.)
- Cover bowl tightly with foil (secure with string or rubber band to keep the moisture out)
- Place covered bowl in crock
- Pour boiling water around the bowl 1" deep.
- Put the lid on and cook on High for 2 1/2-3 hours
Makes a small round loaf (8 slices). The inside is a moist soft texture while the outside crust gets rim and hardens as it cools.