This is Ben's favorite potato soup. This soup is packed with flavor because it is LOADED with herbs and Parmesan cheese. You gotta use the real Parmesan - the good stuff - please don't use that stuff in the green can (The Californian in me is cringing at the thought!) I know parm isn't cheap, but this soup is in the lick the bowl category...so go ahead and splurge! I am showing you two ways to make this soup. The stove top method is fast, but it requires pre-baked potatoes, so you need to think ahead for that. I usually make baked taters earlier in the week and make extra for my soup a few days later. However, the crock pot version doesn't require them to be pre-baked. So you have that flexibility with this recipe.
This soup serve 10-12. I like to serve this soup with crusty sour dough bread or crust garlic bread.
4 medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed (pre-baked for stove top version or raw for crock pot version)
3/4C chopped onions
1/2C flour (i use wheat)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
4 1/2C chicken broth
6C Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp of each of the following:
Stove Top Version:
1. Measure all the seasonings and put into a cereal bowl, mix and set aside.
2. In dutch oven on the stove top saute onion, butter. Add flour and seasonings and stir. Gradually add the broth, while stirring, then bring to a boil.
3. Add (cooled) cooked potatoes and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer
4. Add milk and cheese and heat through.
Crock pot Version:
1. Do Steps 1& 2 above.
2. Put raw potatoes in the crock pot and cover with the above broth mixture.
3. Cook on High for 1 hour than turn on low for 4-5 hours.
4. Add milk and cheese, heat through and serve.