Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Toothpaste with Variations


We have been making our own toothpaste for a couple years now. Before that we bought toothpaste from the healthfood store, by companies like Jason. As our family grew, those toothpastes seemed to get "more expensive", but in reality we just were using more of it! Homemade toothpaste has taken it's place. I like to make two small 4oz (1/2 pint) jelly jars at time (in differnet flavors) for convenience. Each jar lasts our family of 8 about 3-4 weeks. I have developed quite a few flavor combinations that I would like to share with you. The different ingredient blends offer many practical benefits in addition to taste, by lending properties to the toothpaste such as, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and even pain relief. They do a wonderful job on maintaining fresh breath too! Knowing that it has these "medicinal properties", our family shares the toothpaste out of the same container. However, if someone gets sick, I try to remember to dish out a small bit into a 1 oz salve jar and designate it to the sick person (just in case).

This recipe fills a 4oz jar -

Here is the base:4T Coconut oil
4-6T Baking Soda
2 fat pinches of Stevia powder or 1/2T xylitol
(Liguid stevia would work too, but you would have to figure out how many drops)

Flavor variations using essential oils:
  • Powersmile = 20+ drops peppermint
  • Mellow Mint = 10 drops spearmint + 10 drops wintergreen
  • Mixed Mint = 10 drops peppermint + 10 drops wintergreen + 10 drops spearmint
  • Warm Citrus = 10 drops orange + 10 drops lime (or 20 drops orange)+ 10 drops clove
  • Citrus =15-20 drops of lemon, lime or orange
  • Warm and Cool* = 10 drops of Theives + 20 drops peppermint
  • Creamsicle = 15-20 drops of lemon, lime or orange + 1tsp vanilla extract
  • Tea Tree Mint = 20 drops of mint of choice and 10 drops of tea tree
You might want to check back every so often, in case I update new flavors. I will put a date at the top for "last date updated" if I do. :-) I do like variety...in case you haven't noticed. :-) We have lots of essential oils on hand because we use them for many things, so it is easy for me to experiment. The kids' favorites are Creamsicle and Mellow Mint and Warm Citrus. I really like Powersmile and Citrus. :-)
Cinnamon is said to be good for you teeth too. I don't have a cinn essential oil (but would like to try it someday!) I think it would good in a combination like my warm citrus. However, I did try it with a little powdered cinnamon one time...and did not like the results...just so you know. ;-)
* I think this variation might have been suggested to me by my friend Julianne.
Instructions:
  1. I like to use a cereal bowl and the back of a small spoon. I like to mix my powders, than add my coconut oil, mashing it in with the back of a the spoon to form a consistent paste. I prefer to the coconut oil cold/firm, because it is easier to gauge the texture of the toothpaste. However, it can be done in its liquid state too. It always gets firmer in storage, so keep that in mind.

  2. I then add my essential oils. Most folks get their essential oils in small bottles with droppers on them - which make the drop measurements easy. However, I have some oils in larger bottles without that feature on the bottle. So I dip a chop stick in the bottle and pull it out and hold it over the bowl to count my drops. It works well. :-)
Its that easy! I am sure you will find a flavor your family likes.

5 comments:

Andi said...

I have been using a similar version but with a little peroxide in it, for some reason it makes the toothpaste fluffy. :) I will have to give your flavors a try...have you tried thieves oil in it!

MommySetFree said...

Peroxide...interesting. That is suppose to be whitening I have used it by itself before and with b-soda but never thought to mix it in the toothpaste! I might play with that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Yes, I have tried the thieves. (These are all recipes we have used and like.) A little goes a long way if you are experimenting. :-) Having it mixed with the peppermint, really makes it more paletable. I like the combination, it warms up the mint and cools down the thieves...

lusi said...

Am posting VERY late on this one Pamela but just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this. I am going to try it for the first time and see how we go :)
Much love,
Lus x

Marvin Will said...

Looking at it for a long time, it doesn't look like a toothpaste. LOL! It looks like a bottle of hair conditioner, probably because of the container. Hehe. How was your experience using it? And how long have you been you using it? Hmm, toothpastes like that will save you money while providing the same quality. Looking forward to see those on the market. :)

MommySetFree said...

Marvin,
We have been using this toothpaste for over two years now. It really seems to do the trick. It is a powdering type of paste. The baking soda provides some grit - which makes your teeth so clean feeling. The flavor is up to you, so thst is easily customizable. We have not bought any commercial toothpaste in over 2 years. I don't suppose it is for everyone, but it is a very convienant and inexpensive alternative for our family. We never run out because we always have the ingrediants on hand. We don't care for the junk in commercial toothpastes and the organic healthfood brands get mighty expensive when 8 people brushing through it like mad! And to top it all off - I don't have to worry if my small children happen to swallow it!! No "cautions do not swallow" warnings on MY toothpaste. The container...well, my Momma always told me "Don't judge a book by its cover". :-)