These are my new favorite muffins. They are a scrumptious and decadent treat! (My muffin monsters agree!) We are having them for our Shabbat Breakfast tomorrow and making extra to freeze and have on hand. This recipe was inspired by a cake recipe I saw at Taste of Home. Of course I rearranged it, took things out and added my stuff, now I can call it my own. These are a "must try" while oranges are still in season! Zesting the oranges takes a little doing..but it is SO worth it! This recipe make about 15.
1 cup chopped dates
2 1/4C + 1/4C wheat flour (divided)
1C butter, softened
1/2C Rapadura or Sucanat
1/4C grated orange peel
1tsp b. powder
1/2 tsp b. soda
1/2 tsp salt
1C pecans, chopped fine
- Toss dates into about 1/4C flour to coat the dates. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and rapadura until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at time, beating well each time. Add orange peel and gently mix in.
- In a separate bowl mix together remaining flour, b. powder, b. soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in stages, to the butter mixture beating it well as you go.
- Stir in the dates and nuts.
Fill greased or paper lined muffin tins. Bake @400F for 20 minutes or until tooth pick comes out of the center clean.
p.s. Hailey was my partner in the creation in this muffin by the way...she is a crumb off the ol' muffin!