Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Raw Pickles


We absolutely LOVE raw pickles. We are ruined for the regular "canned" ones. My girlfriend (Dawn) shared this recipe with us last year and it has become a staple in our home. You can slice'm or spear them - which ever you choose. Its a great way use those summer cukes. They keep a really long time in the fridge, I have made several jars at a time before when I had lots of cukes..and want to see how they keep this year in the root cellar. It is my hope they do and I will eventually be able to make our year's worth from our summer garden and keep them down there...but I don't know if that will work. I'll update here after my experiment with tester jars this fall/winter. :-) My family can EASILY eat a half gallon of these in one meal! It's a great addition to Summer Shabbat tables too!

3/4C Apple Cider Vinegar (I use raw)
1/2C Agave Nectar or Honey
4 cloves garlic, pressed (or 2tsp garlic powder)
1/2C sliced sweet onions (or 1T + 1tsp onion powder)
2 tsp dr. dill
seas salt and pepper to taste

4-6 cucumbers, sliced

Pack your cukes in a jar and pour premixed brine over them to fill. Refrigerate.

It best to let them marinate a couple days before you start eating them, the flavor gets stronger - but we have eaten them same day too!

*** Reuse your brine...just add more pickles slices to it when the jar is empty. Eventually you will need to add more brine. You can redo the recipe or just top it off adding more vinegar ans spices. Its so easy and economical!

** Personally, I prefer pickeling cucumbers as a general rule for anything, because I like that their smaller and perefer their skin. However, you can even do this with slicing cukes with waxed skin from the grocery store, just be sure to peel the cukes before slicing. (English Cukes are great too.)

2 comments:

lusi said...

Wow! Thanks Pamela for posting this! I'll be trying this with our next cuc harvest :-)
Love Lus x

Moira said...

Thanks, this recipe looks really Yummy!!! I love raw!!! I will, for sure, be using this recipe, and soon too! My cuke's are starting to produce!
Shalom to you and you family,
Moira