1/2 gallon milk
1/2 pint (1 Cup) of plain yogurt
- Prepare a crockpot filled about 2/3 way full of water that is a little hotter than 110F (use a candy thermometer) and cover to keep warm. (I use 6C in my 5qrt crock)
- Heat milk gently on the stove to reach 160F (use a candy thermometer).
- Let cool to 110F (any hotter and it could kill your culture)
- Add 1C yogurt and mix.
- Pour into 2 Qrt jars and 1 pint jar and put a lid on them.
- Test your water in the crock to see if it is at 110. That is the ideal temp. Add a little cool or hot to reach ideal temp quickly if needed. Put all three jars in the crock.
- Put the crock lid on and insulate the top with a heavy bath towel covering the crock completely. (I like to use two towels....just to be sure.) :-)
- Let sit (UNPLUGGED!) overnight or 12-24 hours.
- Keep the pint jar set aside in the fridge to use as your starter for the next batch of yogurt, enjoy the others!
**You can also do this method using a small insulated cooler instead of a crockpot if you would rather. :-)