This ice cream is amazingly dark and delicious! I got this recipe from Ghirardelli. Having come from San Franscico, Ghirardelli chocolate is a taste of home for me...if you have never tried their chocolate...I recommend it! We have subbed the chocolate however, from the original recipe, because of what we have on hand. I am writing the recipe how we have made and loved it. However, I should let you know the original recipe called for Ghirardelli 70% Cocao extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar.
This recipe only makes only 1 qrt (so we increase it times 6 for our ice cream maker. :-)
- 4oz (or 1/2C) Ghirardelli Chocolate chips or Trader Joes Chocolate Chips (not all chips are the same! Nestle or toll house or off brands are not as good!)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4C sugar
- 1 1/2 C heavy cream (we skim ours off our raw Jersey milk)
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a bowl whisk together egg yolks and set aside. In a medium saucepan, (or double boiler) heat the cream, milk and chocolate over medium heat, whisking frequently and the mixture is hot, but not boiling.
- Pour this hot mixture into the egg mixture slowly as you whisk, constantly - then pour it back into the pan. Heat to 170F or until the mixture coats the spoon, stirring constantly.
- Immediately strain into a bowl (in case their are any egg chunks that formed), and then whisk in the vanilla.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to standard machine instructions.
If your ice cream is stored int he freezer, you will need to let it sit out to soften for about 20 minutes before serving because it will get quite heard from the chocolate.
Enjoy! Be sure to comment below if you try it!