2C whole milk
1C heavy cream
3/4C sugar, divided
1 vanilla bean
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
14 tangerines, juiced and 6 of them zested
- In a saucepan, scald the milk and cream, 1/2C sugar and vanilla bean (sliced down the center vertically, seeds scraped into the mixture and pod thrown in after) - stir constantly.
- In a small bowl, whip egg yokes with remaining sugar until smooth. Slowly pour some of the scaled milk into the mixture to temper, mix well. Pour the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan and mix well.
- Cook on low until the mixture thickens slightly and can coat the back of the spoon.
- Strain mixture into a bowl. Add tangerine juice, zest and mix well. Then add vanilla extract. Cover and chill completely in the fridge.
- Process in an ice cream machine as per manufacturers instructions.