Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Remembering What Matters

Today, the kids and I went out to breakfast while Daddy was at the doctor. We can't help but get attention these days...having a big family with lots of little kids and two of a different race, makes people watch you... They can't help but wonder what your deal is...The kids and I don't do stuff like that alone normally, usually daddy is with us for outings like that...but not today...so I suppose, we stood out that much more. Anyway, we were going through our ordering and the kids were coloring and they were being very good. Than the baby woke up, and had soiled his clothes, so I left all the kids at the table to go change the baby into dry clothes in the bathroom. I've gotten used to "rubberneckers" so I didn't think anything of it...except that I know my kids are human and I wanted to "make it quick". It didn't at all seem quick, but when I returned, there was no napkin airplanes being hurled, straw spit wads or complaining...so I was a happy camper...they seemed to be doing the same thing they were doing when I left. The baby was hungry so I nursed him, as the food was being delivered to the table. Hailey and Elijah helped with the little ones' plates. They cut up food for them and split up the larger meals into smaller ones. It was quite nice... Everyone finished their food before I even started. People were very nice to us and smiled, a couple of ladies next to me made some small talk with me and commented on the family. People always say how cute Eliana is (she knows how to work a room). Then...an older man (about my parents' age) approaches our table and puts a 20 dollar bill next to my plate. I was speechless and looked up at him in confusion...He said, "I just want to let you know you are doing a really good job with these kids. You have a beautiful family. I've been watching you. You are doing a really good job; as a matter of fact the best I've ever seen." I was speechless and dumbfounded. I didn't know how to respond. He said, "You have a nice day", and some of the kids said thank you and good bye and I said thank you and he left. I looked around the table and the kids' faces beamed. They were so proud of themselves and as surprised at what just took place as I was. I said, well family...your behavior really blessed that nice man and and it looks like he is helping buy our breakfast! Thank you for cooperating with Momma today. They all said your welcome and went back to chattering...than I just started crying. My eyes welled up and tears started to flow (and YES! Surrounding tables were watching!). The kids didn't quite know how to respond to ME, but I tried to act like it was no big deal and smile and go about our business. After a minute or so...they went back to what they were doing (checking back at me). Hailey took the baby and walked around the table with the baby as I wolfed down my cold coffee and eggs (you never know how long a baby will be content in public). As I ate and my tears dried up, I realized how truly blessed I am. I realized there are already fruits to the labor that seems to "never end". I was thankful and encouraged and reminded in a very strong way of those simple things that are so important!! It is so worth it and I wouldn't trade my job for any in the world...

So it doesn't matter that my yard is a mud puddle filled with construction debris right now. It doesn't matter that my shower is ice cold and the dog peed on my mail and my porches are wrecked and propped up by poles, and my second floor is a shell, etc...etc. None of that matters....I have all I need and so do my husband and my children. Yes, I would like my husband to be healed, and up and running and the PA house to be sold and this house to be finished (and so on and so on)....but in the midst of it all, I choose to remember that we still have all we need (and in fact that our cup runs over with blessings!!!)!

1 comment:

Gail said...

oh, I love this so much! Yes dear mamma, you are doing a wonderful job! Yah is so faithful and He loves you so much!!