This is one of my favorite casseroles for when the weather is cold. It is creamy and rich, yet it has a little bit of a zip to it from the cayenne powder. People always ask for the recipe. It is nice to serve for company or to take places, because it easily serves 8-10 and can be made ahead - which means less last minute clean up! (Always a plus when serving others!) It takes a little more doing than some casseroles, but it's worth it!
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
3C chicken broth
1 lb of cooked pasta (I like to use wheat egg noodles)
4C cooked turkey pieces (or chicken)
1C sliced mushrooms
1 jar (4oz) diced pimentos, drained
1/4C fresh parsley
1/3 grated Parmesan
- In a large dutch oven, melt butter and add flour, salt, pepper and cayenne, stir until smooth.
- Gradually add broth, bring to a slow boil, stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add cream.
- Mix about 2C of the sauce with the pasta and pour the sauced pasta into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Add remaining ingredients, (except cheese) to remaining sauce and mix well. Carefully pour the saucy meat mixture over the noodles and top with cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, uncover and bake until golden.