Learning to develop good character has always been the core of our family values and in doing so we quickly realized that mommy and daddy needed reminders as much as the children! We have done lots of things as they were younger, but we find as our two oldest ones are entering into a different stage of growth, that we need to adapt too those needs (while still continuing with the basics for younger preschool children).
Greg Harris had a wonderful idea of creating a list of "21 rules". I am very sensitive not to simply train our kids how to "act" but to train them up in how to "live and be". So hopefully that is reflected in our list, because that is our greatest challenge as parents. First, we must be men and women of true substance, than we train our children to be the same. We have spring boarded off Greg's idea using precepts from things the Torah teaches us in a way my children will remember. This is what we came up with. (This is also subject to getting updates from time to time as needed.)
Our Family Precepts
1. We love, trust and obey YHVH.
2. We love, trust and pray for each other.
3. We tell the truth.
4. We do the right thing; even when no one is looking.
5. We are careful and thoughtful.
6. We say what we mean and we mean what we say.
7. We do all things without grumbling and complaining.
8. We do not make trouble with others.
9. We clean up after ourselves.
10. We forgive.
11. We listen with our eyes, ears and our hearts.
12. We are helpful.
13. We guard our hearts to keep them kadosh.
14. We guard our bodies to keep them kadosh.
15. We finish what we start.
16. We encourage one another and build each other up.
17. We accept correction to learn from our mistakes.
18. Its not “mine”; its YHVH’s.
19. Be a blessing – think of others first.
20. We obey from the heart.
21. No excuses – take responsibility.
22. People are more important than things.
23. When we do not know what to do, we ask.
24. We remember our "Mams" and "Sirs".
We go over them in the morning at breakfast time until they memorised by all. We use them as reminders of "what we stand for" and how we choose to live; to hold each other accountable, as we continue to be transformed into the likeness of our Messiah.
Welcome to Home Shalom!
Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!