Welcome to Home Shalom!

Welcome to Home Shalom and Shalom Farm. We pray your visit here be blessed. We are learning to walk in the Ways (Torah) of our Father YHWH and follow Y'shua, His Messiah until He returns to "set things straight". We call it a "Messi-Life". Our walk is neither tidy nor perfect, but it is filled with passion, devotion and desire to serve our King. We are learning to be humble servants, and to be good stewards of the things that He has entrusted to us: His Word, our marriage, our children, our family, our community, our health, and our farm. Hitch your horse and stay a while--our door is always open!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Shalom Farm's Cultured Italian Mixed Vegetables


I am going to share with you 2 variations of a delicious fermented vegetable combination that I recently put together.  I usually make mine in 1/2 gallon jars.  Feel free to vary the recipe if you think it would better suite your family's needs?  I have discovered that my gorgeous fermented combinations are only limited by my own imagination!  The variety and combinations are endless!  So be "released" to experiment with your veggie ferments!  I am!  :-)

What I love about this mix is the fact that I don't even really care for cauliflower which is one of the showcase ingredients in this mix...but now I LOVE it!

You will need:
1/2 gallon (or 2 quart) jar and lid (I use plastic)
4-8 cloves of garlic, whole, peeled
2T sea salt
3T fresh whey (I use raw kefir whey), optional
6 large fresh basil leaves (or 1T dried)
bell pepper of choice (various colors are very nice for presentation!), cut into strips
cauliflower, cut into florets
small onion, sliced into rings
Clean pure water
** Variations Below

1.  Pack you jar up to the top with your cauliflower, pepper,onion and garlic, leaving an inch head space up at the top where the rim is.
2.  Add your sea salt, and whey.  Then fill your jar to submerge your veggies completely.  Put your lid on and give a good shake to dissolve the salt and mix the whey through out.
3.  Let sit on the counter for 3-7 days.  Depending on how tangy you like your veggies and how hot your kitchen is.   The hotter the kitchen the quicker the fermenting.  Start taste testing at around 3-4 days.  Put in fridge or root cellar when it reaches the flavor intensity that you enjoy.

** Variations**  My favorite way to do my Italian Mixed Veggies not is to add 2T of dried Italian herb mix to a half gallon in place of the fresh basil. It gives it so much more flavor and I always have the dried herbs on hand.

In addition to or IN PLACE OF the garlic and basil, add about an inch or two of fresh ginger root, cut into coins for Ginger Mixed Veggies.  No need to peel if it is clean.  This is outstanding!






No comments: